Sunday, March 13, 2011

30 DOT Day 19

What do you think of religion? Or what do you think of politics?


Both of these are sticky subjects and likely to ruffle feathers. I'm sure if you've been reading up until now, you probably already know I lean towards the right. I don't call myself a staunch Republican, but a lot of my views line up with them. Not all mind you, but a fair number. 


That being said, I think politics are a messy and ineffective way of ruling a country. Many people, on both sides, like to "play politics". I mean to say they treat it as a game where there is a winner and a loser, when in reality the entire country loses. Men allow selfish desires for personal gain to influence their decisions and quite often develop a superiority complex, feeling they know better than we do how we feel about issues, and how to spend our own money. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's an elitist whose nose is so far in the air, they would frown were it to start raining.


I was almost done with todays writing when I had a revolutionary thought. Why not do a quick blurb on both subjects and tick everyone off equally?!


I think religion is mans attempt to reach God, Jesus was His way of reaching us. I feel that often times religion can get in the way of Him. A lot of todays church activities have a way of becoming a new set of rules to follow, like the ones Jesus set us free from. We've traded the ticky tacky laws of the Pharisees for new ones disguised as something less sinister, like taking a class or going to a Sunday school or becoming a "member" of this ministry or just fill in the blank for whatever expectations church has placed on you. For acceptance, you need to be at every function even at the expense of your own personal ministry needing to be fulfilled in the lives of those you influence. Many modern Christians (I was one of them), simply traded in the Old Testament restrictions for newer ones. True freedom in Christ is a beautiful thing, though many "Christians" will never experience it on this Earth. It is rather counter cultural to actually live as Jesus commanded, and you can face opposition from even other Christ followers. But as long as you are obedient to what He wants for you, you can never go wrong!


I'll close with one of my favorite quotes from Jake Colsen 


"The free person in Christ and the rebellious will always look the same to those who labor under religious obligation, because both ignore the conventions that govern men and women"

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.melissasrandommusings.blogspot.com