Monday, March 7, 2011

30 DOT Day 13

A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough days.


I think if you know me this kind of goes without saying. But for those of you newer to Melissa-world; it's hands down Tori Amos. I remember listening to her when Little Earthquakes came out  and then my obsession really took life during the Under the Pink era. My first concert was during the Dew Drop Inn Tour supporting Boys for Pele. At this point I don't even know how many times I've seen her live and each time is pure magic for me. I've always found it kind of amazing that although there is a big age difference between she and I, each album she releases somehow meets me where I am. 


Chris often makes fun of me because I refuse to choose a favorite song for fear of hurting the other songs feelings. But in all honesty, I simply can't choose because at any given moment, any song can grab me by the heart and speak to me. Her music can at once bring me peace and inspiration. During the time after I lost my mother, The Beekeeper was released. I think this album really helped me deal with my mother's passing. This may sound really cheesy or even stalker-ish but... When she did this song one of the last times I saw her, there was a moment, where with tears streaming down my face grieving for my mom, her eyes met mine and she was singing, at that moment, these words for me. (Side note, she wrote this after almost losing her mother to a heart attack).



No comments:

Post a Comment

www.melissasrandommusings.blogspot.com