Friday, March 11, 2011

30 DOT Day 17

A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.


There is a book that changed the entire way I view church. After we left the last church we were at, a friend lent me the book So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore. As I read this it was as if scales fell off my eyes. For the first time ever, I began to see God's church for what it really is, His people doing His will. My views of task based relationships and the corrupted ideals we strive for and teach others to strive for were in an instant shattered. I encourage anyone reading to this to go to the site above. You can download the book free, or order a hard copy of it. This is the book I most recommend; second only to the Bible. 


As I read this, it was like the authors had peered into my life and experiences and wrote a book about it. I remember feeling the same things they describe, from wanting to reveal the truth about certain things to learning to yield to God's timing about those things and allowing Him to be the only Judge. I attend no "formal church" on a Sunday morning. I am learning what it means to actually BE the church, to give selflessly to those God has placed in my life expecting nothing in return except God's continued favor. The freedom I have received from Jesus has been made complete in my acceptance of His will for my life. 


I could go on and on for hours about the similarities between our experience and this book. Suffice it to say; this book took what I had been feeling and learning since my baptism and put into words what I could not. God placed me on the journey I am on years ago and I am still nowhere near the end. But, Lord willin', I will be there one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.melissasrandommusings.blogspot.com